If you’re a fan of curry and coconut or Indian cuisine, you will love this soup!
I was on a quest to try making my own soup. I love all things coconut and curry so when the idea of Coconut + Curry in a soup delighted my taste buds, I knew I had to make it. Let me tell you, it has to be up there as one of my favorite soups ever! Oh and by the way, I updated this post a bit, since it’s the first time making this soup in 5 years.
Before I get to the soup, the first time I made it, the ingredients were scarce. I’m a huge fan of Indian cuisine, so finding the right ingredients were essential. I searched about 5 different stores for one of my ingredients, the garam masala. Mind you, this is 2012. Updated! I made this soup again recently. I did luck up and find my key ingredients at Publix. Make sure you get the “hot” madras curry powder and not just regular curry. I’m sure your health food stores like Whole Foods, Sprouts, Fresh Market, etc. will carry them.
Back to the soup (preparation). I like to chop my butternut squash up in chunks. Also don’t be alarmed when you find the seeds. It may creep some people out, especially if it’s your first time opening a butternut squash; however, if you have a big enough squash, the neck may be all that you need to prepare your soup.
It was my very first time making soup from scratch and it was super easy! I think this was the first time for me to have butternut squash as well (with my knowledge, lol). You know when you are a kid you sometimes say, “I don’t like this” or “I don’t want that”…yeah that was me. I just wouldn’t eat it. You couldn’t pay me either. But Coconut Curry Butternut Squash Soup is SO GOOD!
Smell that? Oh…it’s just the smell of fresh cilantro and Indian spices! D-I-V-I-N-E!
I’m very pleased with the way this delicious soup turned out! It’s Indian-inspired and everyone knows Indian is one of my FAVORITE cuisines…and it has KICK! That’s that “Indian Hot”. Those who eat Indian regularly know exactly what I’m talking about. It’s a must try, especially as we get deeper into fall and as we prepare for winter. Nothing like a hot bowl of soup to warm you up on a chilly day!
COCONUT CURRY BUTTERNUT SQUASH SOUP
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 2 tsp garam masala (found it at Publix)
- 3 tsp (Hot) madras curry powder (found it at Publix)
- 1/2 medium onion, minced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 16 oz (about 2 cups) peeled and chopped butternut squash
- 1.25 cups coconut milk (or light-optional)
- 3 cups fat free vegetable or chicken broth
- salt (or garlic salt) and fresh pepper to taste
- chopped fresh cilantro (optional)
- Add oil to a large pot on medium heat. When hot, add onion, garlic, then sauté.
- Add broth, coconut milk, cumin, garam masala, and hot madras curry powder.
- Mix and let it cook for about one minute.
- Next add chopped butternut squash.
- Cook for approximately 15 minutes covered until squash is soft.
- Remove cover and remove from heat. Let it sit for about 5 minutes.
- Pour soup into your high-powered blender such as the Vitamix and blend/purée soup until it’s smooth. If you don’t have a high-powered blender, you can use an immersion blender.
- Season with salt and fresh pepper.
- Serve with fresh cilantro, basmati rice, and naan. Optional.
Art Notes (UPDATED! 12/14/17) : If you don’t have an immersion blender, you can use a regular, high-powered blender like the Vitamix or a blender that has a purée option (or similar features). It is best to wait until the mixture cools a tad bit before transferring to the blender to purée (to make soup). Once the purée process is complete, you just add it back to your pot. It’s a lot easier than it sounds. Enjoy!
Here’s a throwback photo from when I first made this recipe back in 2012. How ADORBS! I found this cute, little pumpkin bowl at Hobby Lobby in the seasonal section! I wish I could find it.