I’m always looking for ways to enjoy my favorites without the guilt. And just when I thought had me—then comes along Zucchini Soft Taco Shells! I’ve made and I have even attempted raw tortilla chips during my but when I discovered soft taco shells made out of zucchini, I knew this could go either way. I remembered that I bought four zucchini to with and I pretty much had everything I needed, so, why not?
The process is pretty easy. All you will need is a food processor or a high-powered blender with the capability to transform your zucchini into grated or shredded zucchini. After putting my zucchini through the “grater cycle” using my medium (grater/shredder) disc, I switched blades and used the chopping blade to pulse the zucchini four times. It created a beautiful mound of veggie goodness! I was amazed how well it turned out. I bet making a slaw with shredded zucchini would be wonderful!
These soft taco “tortilla” shells are some of the BEST taco shells I’ve ever tasted! They are low-carb and made with veggies. Win-win! Using cheese as part of the shell mixture makes them even more amazing. Cheese makes everything better! Just add your favorite toppings: veggies, ground beef, chicken, chorizo, etc. and enjoy!
Zucchini Soft Taco Shells
- 2 cup(s) uncooked zucchini, coarsely grated, tightly packed
- 1 large egg(s)
- 1/4 cup(s) 2% shredded fiesta blend cheese
- 2 Tbsp yellow cornmeal
- 1/2 tsp table salt
- 1/2 tsp minced garlic
- 1/4 tsp ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp of white pepper
- 1 pinch smoked paprika
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Line two baking sheets with parchment paper; coat with cooking spray.
- Press as much water out of zucchini as possible using a dish towel or paper towel; place zucchini in a large bowl.
- Add remaining ingredients to bowl; stir to combine.
- Spoon 1/4-cup mounds of batter onto prepared pans (3 per sheet); spread each into a 5-inch diameter circle.
- Bake, rotating pans halfway through cooking, 20 minutes. Let shells cool slightly before removing from pan.
- Serve and enjoy!
Recipe adapted from Weight Watchers
The next night I decided to make one big “taco” shell about the size of a burrito shell. I topped it with fresh salsa loaded with veggies, cheese, and dollop of Greek yogurt!
Food Hack: Greek yogurt serves as the perfect healthy swap for sour cream and you get protein and ditch the saturated fat!
You can also enjoy my Super Stuffed Veggie Tacos (recipe) by swapping out the shells.
It’s so exciting to find ways to enjoy the foods you love without the guilt! It looks like there will be a lot of Taco Tuesdays celebrated in the future!