We know everyone loves to indulge in Mardi Gras King Cake during Mardi Gras season. I know I do! I decided to put my own spin on it. Somewhere out there…every year…there is always someone generous enough to leave a Mardi Gras King Cake in plain sight for everyone to enjoy. Let’s be honest, it’s hard to say “no”. This year I am prepared!
I have a Weight Watchers “Freestyle” friendly idea that is delicious — Mardi Gras Inspired Cinnamon Rolls! Look, I know it’s not King Cake, but I love that I can still enjoy Mardi Gras sweet treats without sacrificing a full days worth of calories (or smart points) for just a temporary fix. What’s even more exciting, all you need is 2 ingredients to make your dough, and it comes with extra protein. I also love that you can enjoy 2-ingredient dough cinnamon rolls all year round. The beauty of this dough is that you can use it to make pizza dough, bagels (see my Instagram post here), and now cinnamon rolls (Thank you, Sarah, Sparkly Runner) and the WW Community)!
There is a back story on these cinnamon rolls. For the life of me I couldn’t find my assortment of sugar sprinkles which contained yellow sprinkles. I decided to pick up some from the store, but I couldn’t find them anywhere. I went to 9 to 10 different stores looking for yellow sprinkles (I should have just ordered from Amazon) — but oh my goodness! Something told me to Ask Google. Well I did just that — and BAM! I found a way to make my own. All I needed was food coloring. I just so happened to be on the food coloring aisle, so I grabbed a yellow box. I was so excited, but not as excited as I was when I found my yellow sugar sprinkles tucked away in a box from our move. However, there was a lesson to be learned here. Don’t give up hope!
Back to the sprinkles…did you know you can make your own colorful sprinkles using stevia instead of sugar? Store-bought sugar sprinkles does have a little more shimmer, but it won’t change the point/calories by much if at all (depending on how much you use).
MARDI GRAS INSPIRED CINNAMON ROLLS
- 1 cup self-rising flour (I used about 1.25 cups) – dough can be tricky
- Greek yogurt, fat free, plain
- Sugar Sprinkles (green, purple, and yellow)
- Knead dough. (Make sure you have plenty of flour. Dough can get sticky without an ample amount).
- Place dough on flat, floured surface to roll out flat using a rolling pin.
- Brush with melted, light butter or use cooking spray.
- Sprinkle a generous amount of cinnamon and stevia/sugar on dough.
- Roll dough into a log and cut into smaller pieces, then place in an 8 x 8 dish (preferably glass).
- Bake in the oven at 350 degrees for 25 minutes. (I saw different variations of temperature from 350 to 375, so I settled on 365).
- Brush with stevia glaze once they are out of the oven. Optional.
- Sprinkle with green, yellow, and purple sprinkles.
- Serve and enjoy!
Weight Watchers Freestyle – 12 cinnamon rolls, 1 SP each
How To Make Colorful “Sugar” Sprinkles
What You Will Need
- Food coloring of choice
- 1/2 cup of stevia (I used Truvia) or sugar
- Jar, cup, or canister with lid
- Pour stevia/sugar into jar.
- Add 2 to 3 drops of food coloring.
- Close lid and shake continuously for about 30 to 45 seconds.
- Take lid off to see if you have your desired color. (The more drops you add, the richer the color).
- Repeat steps until you get desired color.
- Make sure your hands, surface, and rolling pin are covered with flour when preparing dough.
- You can still use sugar sprinkles if you would like. A little goes a long way.
- You can make your own colorful sprinkles using food coloring if you can’t find the color you need.
ENJOY and Happy Mardi Gras!
How are you celebrating Mardi Gras?