Peppermint Bark is one of my absolute favorite treats (ever), especially this time of year! When the season rolls around, like my favorite egg nog, my favorite peppermint bark is hard to find. Then I got to thinking…I would love to make it myself, so I can get my fix whenever I want. I made it for the first time last year, and I never shared it because the holidays were coming to a close. So this year I decided to make it official! I made it for the family for our Christmas Eve party, and everyone loved it! And of course if you didn’t Instagram it, it didn’t happen. Well…it happened.
This isn’t just any peppermint bark, this one is special. One because I made it, and 2) well…I wanted to add a fun element to it. You know my love for Oreo cookies, so I decided to throw them in the mix! It’s super easy to make, so you better believe from here on out….I will be making my own bark for the holidays. I only eat peppermint bark during the holiday season, just like I only indulge in my pumpkin spice treats during October and November. So let’s get to this chocolatey-minty goodness!
PEPPERMINT OREO BARK
- 12 oz bittersweet chocolate chips
- 12 oz white chocolate chips (real chocolate)
- 1 1/2 tsps of canola oil, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon of peppermint extract, divided
- 5 Oreos, chopped
- 6 regular sized candy canes, crushed
- Line the bottom and sides of a 9×13 baking sheet with smoothed parchment paper. Set aside.
- Melt chocolate in microwave in 15-30 second increments stirring frequently until smooth using a rubber spatula. (You want to be careful with this step, because chocolate can overheat and burn).
- Once melted, stir in 1/4 tsp of peppermint extract and oil (divided).
- Quickly pour melted chocolate onto baking pan and smooth layer with spatula.
- Place baking pan in the freezer for about 3 to 5 minutes (You don’t want it to be completely set). Or place in refrigerator for about 8 minutes.
- Melt white chocolate in a microwave-safe bowl until completely melted (15 to 30 second increments, stirring).
- Stir in the remaining 1/4 tsp of peppermint extract once melted and 1/2 of divided oil.
- Next, pour melted white chocolate into a baking pan, and carefully smooth out layer.
- Sprinkle crushed candy canes and Oreo cookies on top of white chocolate.
- Refrigerate bark for about 30 minutes.
- Once completely set, remove chocolate from pan and discard parchment paper.
- Sprinkle any remaining crushed candy canes (and cookies if you would like) over layer of white chocolate.
- Break/cut into pieces.
- Serve and enjoy!
- To crush candy canes, you can place candy canes in a plastic bag and crush them using a rolling pin. If you have a food processor, that’s another option.
- To enjoy Peppermint Bark for longer periods, store in the refrigerator.
- Make sure bark is room temperature before serving.