These Hot Crab Spinach Puffs are so delicious and a great way to enjoy hot crab dip and pastry—the best of both worlds! All of the comfort you need wrapped in a little pastry puff!
One thing I love doing is showing my love and gratitude to my family through food. They love it, too! I decided that I was going to try something new that involves one of my favorites—CHEESE! This post is sponsored by Black Creek but the content and opinions expressed here are my own.
You all probably know by now how much I love cheese, but let me tell you about this deliciously, awesome cheese made by Black Creek®. It is without-a-doubt the Taste of Summer! Black Creek® cheeses are made in Fox River Valley, Wisconsin. The flavors are sharp and complex as well as rich and nutty. Black Creek® also has Cheddar that ranges from: Sharp (aged 9 months), Extra Sharp (Aged 2 years and 3 years), Smoked Cheddar, Cheddar with Parmesan Notes, and Cheddar with Gruyere Notes.
Since my M-I-LOVE is patiently waiting to try one of my favorite dips (mainly because I keep talking about it, but I haven’t made it for her yet…annnnd she keeps reminding me…womp, LOL), I thought I would give her options. OK…really it was a great excuse to try something new. I decided to try one of my favorite dips, Hot Crab and Spinach dip, but with a little twist. You can check out my Hot Crab, Spinach, and Artichoke Dip recipe here. I made puffs! I have wanted to make pastry puffs since the winter. I know how well they pair with cheese, so I knew this would be the perfect combo!
The size of your muffin pan will determine the size of your puffs. I went with a traditional size muffin pan since it was just two of us. Plus, I didn’t want to make too many either. My puffs turned out to be more overstuffed-jumbo puffs, which was alright with me! Once you figure out the size you want your puffs to be, you can decide the size of your squares. Just follow the directions (which you’ll find below), stuff your puffs, and bake away!
These Hot Crab and Spinach Puffs were an absolute HIT! They were soooo creamy, smooth, and full of flavor! My HB devoured them ALL (except one…MINE! lol!) Initially I couldn’t decide if I wanted to use the Black Creek® Sharp Cheddar or the Cheddar with Parmesan Notes, but I ended up using the latter. I’m so glad I did, because they turned out AH-MAZING!
Hot Crab Spinach Puffs
- 2 Tbsps olive oil or butter
- 4-5 cups loosely packed baby spinach leaves, coarsely chopped
- 8 ounces light or regular cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup Black Creek® Cheddar with Parmesan Notes, shredded or grated
- 12 ounces crab meat
- 2, 9 inch sheets of frozen puff pastry sheets, thawed
- egg wash for puffs
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Heat about 2 tablespoon of olive oil (or butter) over medium heat.
- Add spinach and cook just until spinach wilts. About 2 minutes.
- Transfer to mixing bowl.
- Add cream cheese, 1 cup of shredded Black Creek® Cheddar, and crab meat. Stir to combine.
- Spray a small casserole dish with cooking spray and spoon mixture into the dish.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes.
- Allow to cool slightly and get ready to to stuff pastry puffs. Follow the steps for the pastry puffs below.
Directions for Pastry Puffs
- Preheat over to 400 degrees.
- Have egg wash ready and place to the side.
- Unfold sheet of pastry on lightly floured surface. Roll gently to remove creases.
- Cut the pastry sheet into even squares that will comfortably fit into your pan. (I used a 3 x 4 for muffin pan. There are many different sizes).
- Line muffin pan with pastry squares and press center to the bottom. Allow the corners to drape sides.
- Spoon hot crab dip (about a heaping tablespoon) in the center of the flattened pastry square. Do this for each pastry sheet.
- For each pastry sheet: brush draped corners, then bring together two points of pastry square across from each other. Then do the same for the remaining two points. (Similar to wontons).
- Bake for about 20 minutes or until golden brown.
- Allow pastry puffs to cool for about 3-5 minutes.
- Serve and enjoy!
This recipe is super easy to make and everyone will love it! It will be a great addition to your Summer BBQ or celebration. I can’t wait for the HB to grill some burgers this summer. I can taste them now! You can find Black Creek® cheeses by using the store locator. There you will also find tasty recipes and beverage pairings!
Make sure you check out my Hot Crab, Spinach, and Artichoke Dip and my Crispy Air Fryer Chicken Wings!